DISCOVER - Small Objects - Big Stories Learn about a family treasureAlways on
Venue: Fun at Home!
Ask a parent or adult about a family treasure or taonga that may be in your home.
A family treasure or taonga doesn’t have to be something expensive or rare. It is any object that holds meaning for your family. The object can tell a story of important family events, or remind us of people who came before us.
Sit somewhere comfortable with your adult to discuss the following:
- What is your object?
- Where does your object come from?
- What do you think it is made from?
- What was your object used for?
- What would you ask the person in your family who originally owned it?
- Why is it special to your family?
- What do you wonder about it?
- What do you think is going to happen to it in the future?
You may have a grandparent that you could contact to ask about a special taonga or treasure they have in their possession.
Show us what your object is and why it’s special to your whānau/family using the Share your Learning button below:
Find out about some amazing New Zealand Treasures here
Also add read about Rotorua’s special Kurangaituku netball trophy, and add your special own treasure if you wish.
The Rotorua Museum Education Team run a fantastic programme for schools exploring these skills - check it out here